The IEEE has sponsored a number of initiatives to spur membership. One of the key selling points is the
benefits provided to IEEE members. The IEEE - biggest professional engineering society in the world with
over 300,000 members, divided into more than 50 societies, including the Power and Energy,
Industrial Applications, Computer, Wireless, Engineering Medicine Biology and, many others.
These societies and other IEEE organization provide lots of benefits for both career advancement and personnel interest.
In addition, the IEEE offers the following:
- IEEE Spectrum
- Each society has its own publications, usually monthly, plus proceedings from conference, special publications
- IEEE Digital Library
- Each society has annual meetings, plus plenty of special meetings
- 24 Meetings in 2009 for PES alone (many more for other societies)
- PES - Annual meeting in Calgary last year - over 500 folks
- Transmission & Distribution Expo - over 1500 people
- 10 regions - 6 in US (Central Indiana is in Region 4)
- Over 50 local sections
- IEEE-USA - Professional development - policy actions
- Links to other other organizations - ELI, ASME, TechPoint - lots networking opps
- Standards work - you can create the future - lots in smart grid/interconnections (IEEE-1547), wireless - 802 series
- Insurance, job support network, resume service (more at
The Central Indiana Section has over 1700 members. Below are links to
Membership Development Reports from Region 4.